Original Release: May 29, 2020 (Worldwide)
Directed by: Joachim Rønning
Written by: Micah Fitzerman-Blue, Noah Harpster, Linda Woolverton
Produced by: Angelina Jolie, Duncan Henderson, Joe Roth
A fantasy adventure that picks up several years after "Maleficent," in which audiences learned of the events that hardened the heart of Disney's most notorious villain and drove her to curse a baby Princess Aurora, "Maleficent II" continues to explore the complex relationship between the horned fairy and the soon to be Queen, as they form new alliances and face new adversaries in their struggle to protect the moors and the magical creatures that reside within.
Elle Fanning (Princess Aurora), Juno Temple (Thistlewit), Michelle Pfeiffer (Queen Ingrith), Ed Skrein (?), Teresa Mahoney (Dinner Servant), Chiwetel Ejiofor (?), Harris Dickinson (?), Imelda Staunton (Knotgrass), Sam Riley (Diaval), Kae Alexander (?), David Gyasi (?), Lesley Manville (Flittle), Jenn Murray (?), Robert Lindsay (King John), Miyavi (Udo), Judith Shekoni (Shrike)
- Pinewood Studios, Iver Heath, Buckinghamshire, England, UK
- Burnham Beeches, Buckinghamshire, England, UK
- Prequel to Maleficent (2014).
- First sequel to a Live Action Reboot of a Disney Animated Feature Film.
- Harris Dickinson is taking over the role of Prince Phillip from Brenton Thwaites due to scheduling conflicts with Titans (2018).
- Screenwriter Linda Woolverton returned to write the sequel with Angelina Jolie to reprise her title role, with Elle Fanning set to reprise Aurora. Joe Roth is also reported to return as the producer.
"I was 14 when I did the first movie, now I’m 20. I wasn’t as young now so Angelina and I got to relate on a different level now that I’m older, we actually got very close on the second one. Very close. She’s amazing! She does a lot and is very inspiring to work with. To see how she handles the business and also she’s the producer so to see that side of things, to see her with her producer hat on, I learned a lot. I can’t say, you know, like a lot about the story because Disney would kill me but it was a great experience working with Angelina again. It was real exciting to reunite and have a sequel. I’ve never done a sequel to a film before so I’ve never gotten to have a recurring character,” she added. “Never had the opportunity to come back to a character before."
- Elle Fanning