Original Release: November 5, 2015 (US)
Directed by: Angelina Jolie
Written by: Angelina Jolie
Produced by: Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt
Running Time: 122 minutes
Box Office: $531,009 (US)
Set in France during the mid-1970s, Vanessa, a former dancer, and her husband Roland, an American writer, travel the country together. They seem to be growing apart, but when they linger in one quiet, seaside town they begin to draw close to some of its more vibrant inhabitants, such as a local bar/café-keeper and a hotel owner.
Brad Pitt (Roland), Mélanie Laurent (Lea), Melvil Poupaud (François), Niels Arestrup (Michel), Richard Bohringer (Patrice), Marika Green (Dress Shop Saleswoman), Sarah Naudi (Grocery Clerk)
- The film opens with the early 1970's Universal Pictures logo.
- Director and writer Angelina Jolie about the period setting: "I chose to set 'By the Sea' in the 1970s, not only because it is a colorful and alluring era, but because it removes many of the distractions of contemporary life and allows the focus to remain squarely on the emotions that the characters experience in their journey."
- Filming took place during Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie's honeymoon.
- This is the second movie that Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt starred together in and the first one was Mr. & Mrs. Smith (2005) were they first met.
- Angelina Jolie has over a dozen tattoos all over her body, instead of being hidden by makeup, most have been removed in post production using CGI digital opticals and visual effects.
- This is the first film to credit Angelina Jolie as "Angelina Jolie Pitt".
- The couple portrayed by Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt are Vanessa and Roland Bertrand. Angelina Jolie's mother was Marcheline Bertrand.
- This is the second joint collaboration between Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt as a couple. The first one being A Mighty Heart (2007), in which Jolie played the lead and Pitt was the producer.
Vanessa: Do you see that fisherman? He goes out every day, comes back every night. Hardly catches any fish. What keeps him from going insane? From being so tired of it all? What is it we don't know?
Roland: You resist happiness.
Vanessa: Don't quote some book and try to analyze my life.
Roland: You don't resist happiness?
Vanessa: Are you trying to illustrate your point by making me unhappy?
Vanessa: Now my outsides match my insides.
Jupiter Award - Best International Actor - Brad Pitt
Women Film Critics Circle Awards - Courage in Filmmaking Award - Angelina Jolie