Original Release: July 19, 2010 (US)
Directed by: Phillip Noyce
Written by: Kurt Wimmer
Produced by: Lorenzo di Bonaventura, Sunil Perkash
Running Time: 104 minutes
Box Office: $293,503,304 (Worldwide)
Evelyn Salt is a CIA agent and highly respected by all, including her boss, Ted Winter. Out of the blue, a Russian spy walks into their offices and offers a vital piece of information: the President of Russia will be assassinated during his forthcoming visit to New York City to attend the funeral of the recently deceased U.S. Vice President. The name of the assassin: Evelyn Salt. Concerned about the safety of her husband, who she cannot contact, she goes on the run. Winter refuses to accept that she is a mole or a double agent but her actions begin to raise doubts. Just who is Evelyn Salt and what is she planning?
Liev Schreiber (Ted Winter), Chiwetel Ejiofor (Peabody), Daniel Olbrychski (Orlov), August Diehl (Mike Krause), Daniel Pearce (Young Orlov), Hunt Block (U.S. President Lewis), Andre Braugher (Secretary of Defense), Olek Krupa (Russian President Matveyev), Cassidy Hinkle (12-Year-Old Chenkov), Corey Stoll (Shnaider)
- Three different cuts/versions of this movies, 100 minutes (theatrical cut), 104 minutes (director's cut) and 101 minutes (unrated).
- The movie was originally written with Salt as a male (Edwin A. Salt), and Tom Cruise was approached to play him. Ultimately, he backed out and the script was rewritten with a female lead and Angelina Jolie was cast.
- The character of Salt is named for the Strategic Arms Limitation Talks (S.A.L.T.). The talks, in 1969 and 1979, were between USA and Soviet Union during the Cold War.
- When the police first burst into Salt's apartment, Peabody stops and examines a matryoshka doll he finds on a shelf. The doll was meant to be a symbolic foreshadowing of the rest of the movie - the unraveling mystery of who Salt is and what her part might be in the assassination conspiracy.
- Reportedly, Angelina Jolie did most of her own stunts.
- Terry George, Michael Mann and Peter Berg all came close to directing at one point or another.
- Liev Schreiber accidentally gave away the twist ending while he was promoting the film on "The Daily Show". During the interview Jon Stewart referred to a "hot Russian spy" to which Schrieber replied, "Are you talking about me or Angelina?" Realizing his slip Schrieber quickly added, "She's the hot Russian spy. I'm the good- I'm her boss. Sorry. Whoa."
Evelyn Salt: Please let me go home. Please, I'm not who you think I am. I'm really not who you think I am. Please. Please, I'm not a spy.
North Korean Torturer: You are a spy!
Evelyn Salt: I'm not a spy. Please let me go home.
North Korean Torturer: Try again.
Evelyn Salt: I am not a spy! I am a business woman. I work for Rink Petroleum and Gas. Please call them. I work for Rink Petroleum!
North Korean Torturer: You are here to sabotage our nuclear ambitions. Yes?
Evelyn Salt: I am not a spy! I am not a spy!
Evelyn Salt: What is your name?
Vassily Orlov: My name is Vassily Orlov. Today, a Russian agent will travel to New York city to kill the President. This agent is KA-12.
Evelyn Salt: The KA program is a myth.
Vassily Orlov: Don't you want to know the name?
Evelyn Salt: You're good. You can tell the rest of your story to one of my colleagues.
Vassily Orlov: Salt.
Evelyn Salt: Yes?
Vassily Orlov: The name of the agent is Evelyn Salt.
Evelyn Salt: My name is Evelyn Salt.
Vassily Orlov: Then you are a Russian spy.
Peabody: Hey. Why'd you kill him?
Evelyn Salt: Because somebody had to.
Evelyn Salt: By this, I take it you think everybody is who they say they are.
Evelyn Salt: But you needed somebody to take the blame. I'm the patsy.
Peabody: How many more like you are there?
Evelyn Salt: Like me? None. Like him? More than you or I can handle alone.
Evelyn Salt: Do you have homework?
Salt's Young Neighbor: Algebra.
Evelyn Salt: I hate math.
Ted Winter: Look, Ev, try to stay calm.
Evelyn Salt: I'm not a goddamn Russian spy.
Ted Winter: I didn't say you were. Let's go to my office, we can sort this out.
Peabody: No, no. We gotta go to a secure location. Now.
Ted Winter: All right. Doesn't get any more secure than this. Ev? Five minutes.
Evelyn Salt: Call Protective Services, find Mike.
Ted Winter: I will.
Evelyn Salt: This is bullshit.
Ted Winter: "Sir"? Do I look like a "sir" to you?
Evelyn Salt: From head to toe. I'm surprised he didn't call you "Your Majesty".
Ted Winter: I like the ring of that. I think I'd prefer "Your Majesty".
Peabody: If I did believed you, and I'm not saying for a second that I do. But if I did, nobody else would.
Evelyn Salt: Well, maybe you can think of a way around that.
Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Films - Best Action/Adventure Film
Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Films - Best Actress - Angelina Jolie
Best DVD Special Edition - For the "Deluxe Unrated Edition" release.
Alliance of Women Film Journalists - Best Female Action Star - Angelina Jolie
ASCAP Film and Television Music Awards - Top Box Office Films
People's Choice Awards - Favorite Action Movie
Phoenix Film Critics Society Awards - Best Stunts
Rembrandt Awards - Best International Actress - Angelina Jolie
Scream Awards - Best Thriller
Teen Choice Awards - Choice Summer Movie Star: Female - Angelina Jolie
Teen Choice Awards - Choice Summer Movie