Original Release: June 7, 2005 (US)
Directed by: Doug Liman
Written by: Simon Kinberg
Produced by: Lucas Foster, Akiva Goldsman, Eric McLeod, Arnon Milchan, Patrick Wachsberger
Running Time: 120 minutes (Theatrical Version)
Box Office: $478,207,520 (Worldwide)
John and Jane Smith are a normal married couple, living a normal life in a normal suburb, working normal jobs...well, if you can call secretly being assassins "normal". But neither Jane nor John knows about their spouse's secret, until they are surprised to find each other as targets! But on their quest to kill each other, they learn a lot more about each other than they ever did in five (or six) years of marriage.
Brad Pitt (John Smith), Vince Vaughnt (Eddie), Adam Brodyt (Benjamin Danz), Kerry Washingtont (Jasmine), Keith Davidt (Father), Chris Weitzt (Martin Coleman), Rachael Huntleyt (Suzy Coleman), Michelle Monaghan (Gwen)
Filming Locations: (view all)
- 1565 San Pasqual Street, Pasadena, CA, USA (exteriors: Smith residence)
- Cicada, former Rex Il Restorante - 617 Olive Street, Downtown, Los Angeles, CA, USA (restaurant, dance club)
- Glenwood Springs, Colorado, USA
- Rome, Lazio, Italy
- Pasadena, CA, USA
- Los Angeles Center Studios - 450 S. Bixel Street, Downtown, Los Angeles, CA, USA (studio)
- Brad Pitt reportedly left the project after Nicole Kidman dropped out and her replacement had not yet been found. Once Angelina Jolie signed on, he returned to the project.
- Became the third actress to join the coveted $20 Million Club (after Julia Roberts and Cameron Diaz), when she signed to do this film for that amount.
- When Jane is going to her first shown kill, she correctly answers a question from the quiz show Jeopardy! (1984-). This was unscripted and spur of the moment on the part of Angelina Jolie.
- Brad Pitt left in the middle of shooting for three months to shoot Ocean's Twelve (2004).
- In order to get a wider PG-13 audience, a very steamy sex scene between Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie was cut.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie were each paid US $20M for their roles.
- The film's original script was actually writer Simon Kinberg's thesis for his Masters in Fine Arts.
- Angela Bassett was cast as Mr. Smith's boss but her scenes were subsequently cut from the film. Her voice is still heard in the film, giving him instructions of his next assignment.
- Catherine Zeta-Jones was considered for the role of Mrs. Smith, while Johnny Depp turned it down because he had been overworked movies he was shooting and Will Smith were considered for Mr. Smith, when it was unclear if Brad Pitt would sign on.
- Eva Green was considered to play Jane Smith.
- Gwen Stefani auditioned for the role of Mrs. Smith and according to her it was between her and Angelina in the end.
- Cate Blanchett was considered for the role of Mrs. Smith.
- Chloë Sevigny turned down the role of Jane Smith.
- Sarah Polley was offered the role of Jasmine but turned it down.
- A pilot for a TV show based on the film, which was a sequel to the movie, was filmed and starred Martin Henderson and Jordana Brewster as John and Jane Smith. The TV show never came to light.
- Theatrical Version - 120 minutes.
- Director's Cut - 126 minutes.
Unrated Director's cut changes several elements to the film. While the story remains the same, many of Jane and John's interactions have been changed. Also the soundtrack has been changed. The Dust Brother's original soundtrack for Fight Club can distinctly be heard added to several scenes.
Read more detailed information about the versions here.
Jane Smith: If you don't like them we can take them back.
John Smith: All right, I don't like them.
Jane Smith: You'll get used to them.
Jane Smith: Happy endings are just stories that haven't finished yet.
Jane Smith: Any last words?
John Smith: The new curtains are hideous.
Jane Smith: Wait, why do I get the girl gun?
John Smith: Are you kidding me?
Jane Smith: Still alive, baby?
John Smith: Dance with me.
Jane Smith: You don't dance.
John Smith: It was just my cover, sweetheart.
Jane Smith: Was sloth your cover, too?
Jane Smith: My parents died when I was five. I'm an orphan.
John Smith: Who was that kind fellow who gave you away at our wedding?
Jane Smith: Paid actor.
John Smith: I said, I said I saw your dad on "Fantasy Island"!
John Smith: That's the second time you've tried to kill me today.
Jane Smith: Oh, come on, it was just a little bomb.
Jane Smith: That vacation in Aspen, you left early, why?
John Smith: Jean-Luc Gespar.
Jane Smith: Damn, I wanted him.
John Smith: I got it.
Jane Smith: Hey baby. I didn't hear you downstairs.
John Smith: I went down to the sports bar. Put a little money on the game.
Jane Smith: How'd you do?
John Smith: I got "Lucky".
John Smith: Come to Daddy.
Jane Smith: Who's your Daddy now?
Eddie: [sitting in front of John in a diner] Tell me you got smart and that you killed that lying bitch.
Jane Smith: This lying bitch?
Eddie: Guess that was just wishful thinking.
Jane Smith: I thought I told you not to bother me at the office, honey.
John Smith: Well, you are still Mrs. Smith.
Jane Smith: Well, so are a lot of girls.
Jane Smith: There's this huge space between us, and it just keeps filling up with everything that we don't say to each other. What's that called?
Marriage Counselor: Marriage.
John Smith: Careful, Jane. I can push the button any time I like.
Jane Smith: Baby, you couldn't find the button with both hands and a map.
John Smith: I have a theory, newly developed.
Jane Smith: I'm breathless to hear it.
John Smith: I think you killed us.
Jane Smith: Provocative.
John Smith: Why do you care? I was just a cover
Jane Smith: Who says you were just a cover?
John Smith: Wasn't I?
Jane Smith: You really expect me to roll over and play dead?
John Smith: Well, you should be used to it after five years of marriage.
Jane Smith: Six... and I'm not leaving.
John Smith: The first time we met, what was your first thought?
Jane Smith: You tell me.
John Smith: I thought... I thought you looked like Christmas morning, I don't know how else to say it.
Jane Smith: And why are you telling me this now?
John Smith: I guess in the end you start thinking about the beginning... so there it is, I thought you should know.
Marriage Counselor: How often do you have sex?
Jane Smith: I don't understand the question.
John Smith: Did you hear the helicopter dropping me off that night for our anniversary dinner?
Jane Smith: No. Oh, percussion grenades. I was partially deaf that evening.
John Smith: That left of yours is a thing of beauty.
Jane Smith: Mmm. You take it well.
Girls walking by House: What's going on, Mrs. Smith?
Jane Smith: Garden party, girls.
Jane Smith: Satisfied?
John Smith: Not for years.
Jane Smith: There's nowhere I'd rather be than here with you.
Jane Smith: I can't feel anything in these three fingers.
Jane Smith: Have you been selling big guns to bad people?
Jane Smith: I was never in the peace corps.
"I feel like I almost got it. I went to a bunch [of auditions]. It was between me and Angelina Jolie, and I'm like, ‘Oh, great. I got a shot here, the whole acting thing really feels like something I could do. Whenever I've done it, whenever I had moments where it works, it's just like performing. You hit a moment. And that's what movies are: a series of moments. [It was] very competitive and I wanted to do it, but I wanted to do music more."
- Gwen Stefani, in Vogue 2008.
Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Films - Best Action/Adventure/Thriller Film
ASCAP Film and Television Music Awards - Top Box Office Films
Golden Schmoes Awards - Best T&A of the Year - Angelina Jolie
Golden Trailer Awards - Best Action
Golden Trailer Awards - Summer 2005 Blockbuster
Irish Film and Television Awards - Best International Actor - Brad Pitt
MTV Movie + TV Awards - Best Fight - Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt
MTV Movie + TV Awards - Best Kiss - Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt
MTV Movie Awards (Russia) - Best International Movie
NRJ Ciné Awards (France) - Best Action Film
NRJ Ciné Awards (France) - Actor of the Year - Brad Pitt
NRJ Ciné Awards (France) - Best Kiss - Brad Pitt & Angelina Jolie
People's Choice Awards - Favorite On-Screen Match-Up - Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt
Teen Choice Awards - Choice Movie Actress: Action Adventure/Thriller - Angelina Jolie
Teen Choice Awards - Choice Movie Liar - Angelina Jolie
Teen Choice Awards - Choice Movie Rumble- Brad Pitt & Angelina Jolie
Teen Choice Awards - Choice Movie: Action Adventure
Teen Choice Awards - Choice Date Movie
Teen Choice Awards - Choice Movie Actor: Action Adventure/Thriller - Brad Pitt
Teen Choice Awards - Choice Movie Liar - Brad Pitt
Teen Choice Awards - Choice Movie Liplock - Brad Pitt & Angelina Jolie
Teen Choice Awards - Choice Movie Chemistry - Brad Pitt & Angelina Jolie
Teen Choice Awards - Choice Movie Dance Scene - Brad Pitt & Angelina Jolie