Original Release: June 5, 2000 (US)
Directed by: Dominic Sena
Written by: H.B. Halicki, Scott Rosenberg
Produced by: Jerry Bruckheimer, Mike Stenson
Running Time: 118 minutes
Box Office: $101,643,008 (US)
Car theft in Long Beach went down 47% when Randall "Memphis" Raines walked away from the life. He gets dragged back into it by assuming the job his brother Kip screwed up for stolen-car broker Raymond Calitri: steal 50 exotic cars and have them on a container ship by 8 AM Friday morning, and he got this news on a Monday. With Calitri threatening to kill him and Kip, and the police GRAB unit breathing down his neck, Memphis reassembles his old crew and attempts to pull off the logistically impossible.
Nicolas Cage (Memphis Raines), Giovanni Ribisi (Kip Raines), T.J. Cross (Mirror Man), William Lee Scott (Toby), Scott Caan (Tumbler), James Duval (Freb), Will Patton (Atley Jackson), Delroy Lindo (Det. Roland Castlebeck), Timothy Olyphant (Detective Drycoff), Chi McBride (Donny Astricky), Robert Duvall (Otto Halliwell), Christopher Eccleston (Raymond Calitri), Vinnie Jones (The Sphinx)
Filming Locations: (view all)
- Long Beach, CA, USA
- Beverly Hills, CA, USA
- San Pedro, Los Angeles, CA, USA
- Independence, CA, USA
- This movie is a remake of Gone in 60 Seconds (1974).
- Angelina Jolie, Delroy Lindo, Giovanni Ribisi, and Scott Caan were also trained in stunt driving by Bobby Ore, albeit not as extensively as Nicolas Cage.
- The role of Sway was written especially for Angelina Jolie.
- Angelina Jolie agreed to be in this movie because she loves cars. At the time, she drove a Ford truck.
- Sway is supposed to be several years older than Kip and his friends. Angelina Jolie (Sara "Sway" Wayland) is actually younger than Giovanni Ribisi (Kip Raines), William Lee Scott (Toby) and James Duval (Freb). She's only about 15 months older than Scott Caan (Tumbler)
- Theatrical Cut - 118 minutes.
- Director's Cut - 127 minutes.
Sara "Sway" Wayland: What do you think is more exciting... having sex or stealing cars?
Memphis Raines: Having sex or boosting cars... Um, oo! Well, uh... How about having sex WHILE boosting cars?
Sara "Sway" Wayland: Oh, that's a good line. Doesn't work on a lot of girls, though.
Memphis Raines: I just blurted it out, I'm sorry... But, you haven't answered the question.
Sara "Sway" Wayland: Well, you see, the problem is... how do you get over the shifter?
Memphis Raines: Oh, oh right... because the uh...
Sara "Sway" Wayland: 'Cos it gets in the way.
Memphis Raines: Because you wouldn't want to disrupt the syncro-mesh... the throttle linkage... the clutch master cylinder... the overhead camshaft.
Sara "Sway" Wayland: I can't do this.
Memphis Raines: Straight inline 6, triple Weber carburetors, bolted to each other's body structures...
Sara "Sway" Wayland: Well, it's time to work...
Memphis Raines: Good brakes... good brakes, too!
Sway: I've got two jobs. I've discovered that you have to work twice as hard when it's honest.
Memphis Raines: What's next? Blush? Mascara?
Sara "Sway" Wayland: Next time I'll pull out the, uh... leather, high heels and pink underwear for you.
Memphis Raines: Leather, High Heels and...
Sara "Sway" Wayland, Memphis: Pink Underwear.
Memphis Raines: Still looking amazing.
Sara "Sway" Wayland: While you... still look like a bible salesman.
Sara "Sway" Wayland: Hello, ladies. I always was a sucker for a redhead.
"That came from the inside and how she interpreted the character.”
- Producer, Jerry Bruckheimer said that Angelina came up with the look for Sway
Blockbuster Entertainment Awards - Favorite Actress - Action - Angelina Jolie
Blockbuster Entertainment Awards - Favorite Actor - Action - Nicolas Cage
MTV Movie + TV Awards 2001 - Best Action Sequence