Original Release: September 15, 1995 (US)
Directed by: Iain Softley
Written by: Rafael Moreu
Produced by: Michael Peyser, Ralph Winter
Running Time: 107 minutes
Box Office: $7,564,000 (US)
Dade Murphy was a hacker even as a kid in Seattle. He got arrested for the computer virus that he planted and was banned from using any computer until the age of 18.Then he moves to New York to meet a group of hackers. He also falls in love with Kate Libby.
Jonny Lee Miller (Dade Murphy), Jesse Bradford (Joey), Matthew Lillard (Cereal Killer), Laurence Mason (Nikon), Renoly Santiago (Phreak), Fisher Stevens (The Plague), Alberta Watson (Lauren Murphy), Darren Lee (Razor), Peter Y. Kim (Blade)
Filming Locations: (view all)
- Buckinghamshire, England, UK
- Hackensack, New Jersey, USA
- East Village, Manhattan, New York City, USA
- Grand Central Station, Manhattan, New York City, USA
- Stuyvesant High School - 345 Chambers Street, Battery Park, Manhattan, New York City, USA
- Angelina Jolie and Jonny Lee Miller fell in love while shooting this film and was together, even married for several years and are to this day, still very close friends.
- All of the hacker handles proposed by the Joey were actual handles already used by real hackers.
- The distinctive ring Kate Libby wears is the "Original Armour Ring" by jewelry designer Marche' Noir.
- The director auditioned Hilary Swank, Heather Graham, and Liv Tyler for the role which ultimately went to Angelina Jolie.
- The part of Kate "Acid Burn" Libby was originally offered to Katherine Heigl, but due to prior commitments to Under Siege 2: Dark Territory (1995) she had to turn it down.
- Edward Norton auditioned for a role.
- Although they were all playing high school students, Jonny Lee Miller was 23 at the time of filming, Angelina Jolie was 20 and Matthew Lillard was 25. Only Jesse Bradford really fit the bill, being 16 at the time.
- The cast were given three weeks to hang out together, get to know each other better and learn how to skateboard properly before filming began. They also spent most of that time studying computers and hacking.
Kate "Acid Burn" Libby: Why'd he come to you?
Dade Murphy: I got a record! I was 'Zero Cool'!
Dade Murphy: You look good in a dress.
Kate "Acid Burn" Libby: You would have looked better.
Kate "Acid Burn" Libby: Are you challenging me?
Dade Murphy: Name your stakes.
Kate "Acid Burn" Libby: If I win, you become my slave.
Dade Murphy: Your SLAVE?
Kate "Acid Burn" Libby: You wish! You'll do shitwork, scan, crack copyrights...
Dade Murphy: And if I win?
Kate "Acid Burn" Libby: Make it my first-born!
Dade Murphy: Make it our first-date!
Kate "Acid Burn" Libby: I don't DO dates. But I don't lose either, so you're on!
Kate "Acid Burn" Libby: I hope you don't screw like you type.
Kate "Acid Burn" Libby: Here's your class.
Dade Murphy: My class. You mean I'm... I'm not in your class?
Kate "Acid Burn" Libby: No. You're not in my class.
Dade Murphy: Gimme time.
Kate "Acid Burn" Libby: Never send a boy to do a woman's job.
Kate "Acid Burn" Libby: 'God gave men brains larger than dogs so they wouldn't hump women's legs at cocktail parties.' - Ruth Libby.
"I seem to be getting a lot of things pushed my way that are strong women. It's like people see Hackers (1995) and they send me offers to play tough women with guns, the kind who wear no bra and a little tank top. I'd like to play strong women who are also very feminine."
- Angelina Jolie