New addition to the cast of Maleficent 2 and it’s the actor Ed Skrein known for Deadpool and Game of Thrones.
“Deadpool” actor Ed Skrein is in final negotiations to join Disney’s “Maleficent” sequel.
Angelina Jolie and Elle Fanning are returning to starring in the fantasy film, with “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales” helmer Joachim Ronning to direct.
Exact details behind Skrein’s villain role are currently under wraps.
Joe Roth is producing the film, with Jez Butterworth and Linda Woolverton penning the latest script. Micah Fitzerman-Blue & Noah Harpster wrote most recent draft.
It is not clear where this film will pick up following the first movie, which was based on the fairy tale “Sleeping Beauty.” The original story centered on an evil fairy who cursed an infant princess to eternal sleep, only to realize the young girl was the only one who could save the kingdom from its dangerous ruler. “Maleficent” broke several box office records on its way to making $758.5 million worldwide.
Production on the sequel is set to start in 2018.
Skrein, who broke out as Ryan Reynolds nemesis in the first “Deadpool, is also known for his role as Daario Naharis in HBO’s “Game of Thrones.” His upcoming projects include Robert Rodriguez’s “Alita: Battle Angel,” which James Cameron is producing, and Barry Jenkins’ “If Beale Street Could Talk.”
He is repped by CAA and 42.
Below is an interview with the Lara Croft: Tomb Raider director Simon West which he did with magazine Entertainment Weekly. He talks about casting Angelina as Lady Lara Croft and the interview also mentions other actresses that was in talks for the part. We are happy that Simon fought to cast Angelina!
Lara Croft is returning to the big screen on March 16, but the gaming world’s foremost feminist disruptor first sprang from the polygonal trenches of the Sony PlayStation and onto movie screens some 17 years ago.
The titular character — a British aristocrat with a knack for archaeology and an affinity for hot pants — ascended the ranks of pop cultural stardom in the late ’90s, becoming an unprecedented digital celebrity in the age of lads’ mags and Girl Power. And playing her made a bona fide movie star out of a 26-year-old Angelina Jolie. But the videogame-to-Hollywood transition might have looked a bit different if, according to the filmmaker behind the project, he hadn’t pushed for his star.
Director Simon West tells EW that he was approached by Paramount Pictures several times before agreeing to helm the first Tomb Raider film, which landed in theaters on June 15, 2001 after Croft had amassed a worldwide following across five prior gaming ventures. Though Ripley had already flexed her heroic muscles in several Alien titles and Wonder Woman had long cemented her legacy in the pages of DC comic books, West says he was up against a market that wasn’t used to women leading summer blockbusters.
“There hadn’t been a female lead of an action-adventure film that had carried a film [by herself recently], and Angelina wasn’t as big as some of the other actresses that were up for the part, who’d done bigger films and had a longer track record and bigger box-office grosses. … Some of their [images] were safer than Angelina’s, whose was quite dangerous. She had all sorts of thing written about her—some obviously not true. She was a young woman experimenting,” West tells EW. He says that names like Catherine Zeta-Jones, Ashley Judd, and Jennifer Lopez were thrown around by studio, but he never saw anyone else in the part but Jolie — largely thanks to her “wicked” offscreen persona — and that the casting process “never [came] down to screen tests or level pegging,” but it did take him a while to “argue” Jolie through.
Variety posted an article about Angelina still being in talks if she will star in this project or not. It sounds like a movie that would suit Angelina really well, being a pilot her self and fantastic in action roles! It’s interesting to see if it happens!
“Divergent” helmer Neil Burger will direct an untitled film based on the memoir by Purple Heart veteran Maj. Mary Jennings Hegar, sources tell Variety.
Angelina Jolie is circling the lead role of Hegar. The Gotham Group is producing.
The current draft of the movie will be written by Alice O’Neill and Burger; the previous versions of the screenplay were penned by Frank Baldwin and Jason Hall. O’Neill and Burger most recently collaborated on the Showtime series “Billions,” where O’Neill currently serves as story editor, and Burger served as an executive producer and directed the first two episodes. They also co-wrote the screenplay “Tara Delaney,” with Burger also attached to direct.
The book was originally brought to the studio by Nicole Brown, who will oversee the project with Hannah Minghella.
As detailed in her memoir “Shoot Like a Girl,” Hegar earned a Purple Heart and the Distinguished Flying Cross for serving three tours of duty in Afghanistan as an elite rescue pilot, flying dangerous search and rescue missions in hot zones, and transporting hundreds of men and women off the battlefield under extreme circumstances. Perhaps her greatest accomplishment occurred on U.S. soil, though, where she opened the front lines for women by successfully taking on the Department of Defense, arguing that the Combat Exclusion Policy barring women from combat duty was unconstitutional and unjust.
It’s reported that Angelina starts shooting Maleficent 2 on April 16 in London, England.
The shooting for Angelina Jolie starrer ‘Maleficent 2‘ will begin from April 16 in London.
The 42-year-old actress will be playing the lead role in this dark fantasy film to be directed by Joachim Ronning.
Patrick Tatopoulous will be serving as the production designer. The shooting of the film is expected to complete within four months.
Back in 2014, ‘Maleficent’ touched the hearts of the audiences with the story of a kind-hearted fairy, who was deceived by the love of her life.
The movie earned over USD 750 million at the Box Office.
Some news on Maleficent 2! The filming starts in April 16th in London, UK and we’re so excited about this project!
Maleficent 2 has set an April filming start date, with Angelina Jolie returning as the movie’s namesake. It was previously reported that the Maleficent sequel could begin production by the first quarter of the new year, so the project appears to be moving along as expected.
It wasn’t previously clear when (and, to a degree, if) Jolie would be reprising her role as the Disney ex-villain Maleficent on the big screen. Jolie reportedly spent a significant chunk of last year debating whether or not to work on the Dark Universe’s Bride of Frankenstein reboot before or after returning for Maleficent 2. However, following the troubled production and lukewarm reception of Tom Cruise’s The Mummy, the Dark Universe has seemingly fallen apart and Jolie is now free to start filming the Maleficent sequel in London in a few months.
Omega Underground is reporting that Maleficent 2 has already entered pre-production and is scheduled to start filming April 16th. Production will take place in London, with Marco Polo and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales co-director Joachim Rønning at the helm. Patrick Tatopoulous (Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice) has been added to the crew as production designer. The project is expected to complete principal photography in about four months, around the time that August rolls around.