The Huffington Post (Canada) has published an article about the false news about how they made kids audition for First They Killed My Father during the production. Below is quotes from Angelina herself and Rithy Panh, the producer of the movie, and they answer directly to the false accusations directly.
This is what we will post about this, it’s sad if this in any way will overshadow this upcoming movie, which is based on such an important subject.
Please, always have in mind that media comes up with false statements all the time to sell more and I think it’s very easy to tell that Angelina, who has done so much for human rights and people around the world – would never do something like this.
The actress faced critics after the magazine said her directors gave Cambodian children money, then took it away.
Angelina Jolie is upset over a recent Vanity Fair profile that depicted an audition scene for her upcoming Cambodian film “First They Killed My Father,” which many people found exploitative.
The Vanity Fair cover story, published online this week, described a “game” Jolie’s casting directors played with children from “orphanages, circuses and slum schools” while searching for an actor to play the role of Loung Ung, the author of the memoir on which the is film based.
In the game, as described by Vanity Fair contributor Evgenia Peretz, casting directors placed money in front of the children, asked them what they needed the money for, then took it away to elicit a reaction.
Critics called the casting strategy described in the magazine emotionally abusive and cruel.
Jolie said in a statement Saturday that the audition scene had been taken out of context. According to the actress, there were parents, guardians and non-governmental organization partners, as well as medical doctors, present throughout the entire filmmaking process, including auditions. She emphasized that no one was hurt by participating in the recreation of the film’s scenes.
Continue reading Refutes Vanity Fair’s Portrayal Of Controversial Auditions